History of Holy Trinity
Holy Trinity Catholic Church started out on a tract of land northeast of Fingal, built of native stone by the parishioners and completed in 1891. Fr. Anton Wagner became the first resident priest of Holy Trinity in 1899. There was also a two-story boarding school, St. Gerard's, on the church grounds. The church was struck by lightning in 1909, shattering the tower and weakening the structure. It was repaired and used for a short time but soon the school was used for church services. The church was torn down in 1915. The school closed in 1918 due to the influenza epidemic. The site for the new church in Fingal was purchased in November of 1917. The cornerstone was laid and blessed on May 15, 1918. The church of Holy Trinity was blessed by the bishop on August 4, 1918.
Holy Trinity has two cemeteries. One is located at the site of the old church grounds, which is referred to as the "old cemetery". The other is located north of Fingal and is referred to as the "new cemetery".
Many changes have occurred over the years. With the exodus of many people from the rural areas of North Dakota, it has taken its toll on the number of parishioners attending many area churches. Holy Trinity no longer had a resident priest in 1984 and became a mission parish of St. Bernard in Oriska along with St. Thomas in Buffalo. During the years 1994 to 2006 Holy Trinity became Oriska's sole mission parish. Then in 2006, with the closing of St. Henry's in Alice in 2005, Holy Trinity became a mission parish of St. Patrick in Enderlin along with the mission parish of Our Lady of the Scapular in Sheldon. The current pastor is Father Chris Markman.